11.23.2005

Meanie in a hotel

The following is the conversation which ensued between me and the “meanie”, actually the receptionist of a well known hotel in Chennai.

Tring tring

Clearing my throat

Tring tring

Ready to speak any minute the receiver is lifted at the other end


The meanie: (In a voice sweeter than honey) Hello X hotel. How may I help you?

Me: Uh-hello….please connect me to the room of Mr.Y

The meanie: Just a minute


Lounge music plays on as I am put on hold for what seems more like five minutes


The meanie: Hello?

Me: Yes hello?

The meanie: There is no Mr.Y in this hotel am afraid.

Me: (worried) Oh it will be the person who checked in after midnight yesterday. Could you please check again?

The meanie: Just a minute

Lounge music….what happened to little courtesies?

The meanie: Hello, I can’t find any Mr.Y who checked in after midnight.

Me: Oh. Oh ok wait I think he would have registered in the name of Mr. Z. Could you please check for that?

The meanie: (A very curt) Just a minute

Tring tring tring tring tring tr..

Line goes dead

I try again

Tring tring

The meanie: (In a voice sweeter than honey) Hello X hotel. How may I help you?

Me: (Temper rising) Hi it’s me again. The last time the call got cut

The meanie: Will connect you again hold on

Rude rude rude

Tring tring

This time it goes to another receptionist

Me: Hello?

Another receptionist: Hello X hotel. How may I help you?

Me: Hi, could you please connect me to the room of Mr.Z?

Another receptionist: Just a minute madam

Lounge music and I am raging

Another receptionist: Hello?

Me: Yes hello?

Another receptionist: Madam I think Mr.Z is not in his room.

Me: Oh in that case could you please take down a message from me for him?

Another receptionist: Just a minute madam while I connect you to the receptionist

Me: NOOOOO…

In vain the connection had already been made

The meanie: (In a voice sweeter than honey) Hello X hotel. How may I help you?

Me: (Pretty sure she is going to bang the phone down) Ummm hi it’s me again. I just wanted to leave a message for Mr. Z. Could you take it down and pass it on to him when he comes back.

The meanie: (In an angry voice) Just a minute while I connect you

Me: NOOO he’s not in…

Does anyone LISTEN around here?????

Tring tring tring tring tring tr…

Line goes dead

I curse my luck and start all over again

Tring tring

The meanie: (In a voice sweeter than honey) Hello X hotel. How may I help you?

Me: (Trying to put on a nice sweet voice) Hi could you please take down a message for Mr.Z and pass it to him when he returns? I tried telling you he is not in

The meanie: (OMG voice!!) Just a minute

The meanie: (Resigned) You can give your message

Me: “Call me back as soon as you are in”

The meanie: Ok

Me: Right thank…

The meanie: (Express speed) Thank you for calling X hotel.


Line goes dead leaving me wondering if it’s the job or me or her own personal turmoil.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Poor u..next time use Cell phones ;-)

Unknown said...

procedures...procedures...
wonder if u knw the hassles of getting roaming activated on short notice on Airtel.....

LinkWithin