5.05.2006

My Blah Mind

I don’t know if its just me but my mind is always chattering. Ceaselessly. Even as I type this post, I can hear my mind chiding me for the spelling mistakes I made : “It is not ceaselessly it is ceaselessly. Go back and correct it” and so on and so forth. I don’t think I have ever experienced complete silence. Even if there is no noise around me my mind is talking. I close my ears sometimes just to see if it stops. But it only increases as if cutting even the remotest of outside noise is like adding fuel to fire.

We had a teacher in my ninth standard who tried to teach us unruly bunch of kids the art of meditation. Mrs. Vasundhara Reddy. God bless her wherever she is. She was one of the best teacher-guides I have ever had. Her method was to light a candle in the fore front of the room. We had to look at the flame for 2 minutes and then close our eyes and concentrate and see the flame in our mind’s eye for ten minutes. What happened in my mind was completely different.

“Why dint I wear a sweater and come today? Am so dumb. Hey! Concentrate on that flame”

Or

“I wonder if it will rain today. Concentrate on the flame dearie. Yeah see that flame flickering. Concentrate. Concentrate” and so on and on.

Finally I learned to focus my mind on saying “Flame, flame, flame” so that I don’t feel exhausted after a meditation session :)

Seeing me sitting on my bed and looking out of the window for hours sometimes drove my mom nuts. She used to wonder whether I was normal. But for my mind it was the perfect thing to do. Sit for hours and chatter away with all those folds and nerve endings and gooey stuff.

Even now its telling me what to type next! I don’t like following instructions so am going to end it here. GRRRR

9 comments:

Granny said...

I call that kind of mind chatter the "committees". They never stop talking and they never accomplish a thing.

the Monk said...

it's actually a good thing, I think...

Known Stranger said...

heieh. i still couldnt find the spelling mistake in ceaselessly. Never good at this vocabalry. when the mind is in chatter just i start penning in tune to the chatter with out bothering what i write some time it turns to be the worst crap and sometime it turns to be a peice of art

Unknown said...

i was waiting for someone to point that out to me :)....

Anonymous said...

Just loved the post... well, sometimes when I am thinking bout bugs in my program, I think of corrective actions, which makes me think of some instruments, then weapons, and then the battlefield. and i find myself standing on the Wagah Border......
Oh my goodness! mind explores the branches in the tree endlessly, and you just cant stop but to follow the trail until you here a loud bang saying "common buddy, u r off your coordinates"

Anonymous said...

Oh my gawd, and i used to think Siriroop the most silent girl in our class:) Nice blogging. Will keep visiting for giving expert comments;-)

Unknown said...

Sharath : you are welcome to keep coming back. Looks are always deceptive. Am a yakkity yak yakker when i find the right company

Anonymous said...

okie..now..DONT LAUGH AT ME..since I do have hell lots of missing words in my first commentspace for one of ur later posts on top of the page :D I dint bother 2 go back n correct 'em. You know y? coz I thght u wre smart enuf to connect my words 2ghthr....nw..isnt that nice of me of givin u the credit?? :D Tanku in advance!

Anonymous said...

and thank your teacher tooo! :)

LinkWithin