6.05.2008

Inter(esting)views

Whatever happened to humility? And whatever happened to humility when one has to face an interview? Do people not bother about it anymore? Am I in the dinosaur age where humility is considered a character strength during recruitment?
Two incidents provoked me to write this small piece.

One was yesterday where one interviewee would not accept the fact that he could be incorrect. He was pretty sure that he was correct according to "his" java and wanted to ascertain what I thought according to "my" java! James Gosling might as well feel happy that even as he parented java, his followers are parenting their own personal versions. The point is, this interviewee was so angry with me that I couldnt help but picturise smoke coming out of his ears.

Today there was a strange case of an interview candidate walking out on me! No time to react. A thank you and bang-shut of the door and there I was sitting in the gathering dust. And all I had asked the interviewee was a basic question for which the person got all tangled in giving the answer.

In my defence I can fairly say that I am not a fastidious interviewer. But does it matter what kind of interviewer one is? Should one vent their frustrations in front of total strangers who have the capacity to give one a job?

All of us are keen to hire people who are geniuses at a particular skill. But is genius enough to get you through all situations?

Ah, chuck it, we'll all go this way (see image)

2 comments:

Deepa said...

Never experienced this before! Emotional Intelligence of the interviewee is as important as the skills the candidate brings in; EI is a good barometer to finding the right candidate -- one who will bring the right skills and attitude the organization. A little about that in Robert Sutton's "The No Asshole Rule: Building a Civilized Workplace and Surviving One That Isn't". This surprisingly obscene-titled book (as the author himself refers to in the book) first appeared as an article in Harverd Business Review, and has been rated as Amazon's one of the Best Books of 2007 (http://www.amazon.com/Asshole-Rule-Civilized-Workplace-Surviving/dp/0446526568)

Unknown said...

Its obscene but could any other word be used to describe the exact adjective? Thanks for the link Deepa, will see if I can get my hands on an Indian publication of this book. We all need it as a character (and buffalo skin) building exercise :)

LinkWithin